It's the peak of Flu season again across the country and in Tennessee the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has raises the Flu level warning from low to high after seeing an increase in people with flu symptoms. During winter season and holiday season people usually gather in close quarters that makes flue easier to spread.
"Influenza A and B is a virus much like the common cold but packs more of a punch," said Physician’s Assistant Brett Garvey with The Little Clinic. The best way to prevent Flu is always wash your hands!
Here are the steps that you can make to prevent FLU:
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water, or dissenfect your hands with alcohol-based hand rub.
2. Avoid Close Contact with sick people always keep your personal space.
3. Avoid touching your nose, eyes or mouth.
4. Disinfect objects that you frequently use like smartphones, computers, table etc.
5. Boost your immune system by getting plenty of sleep, exercise, drink plenty of fluids, manage your stress level and eat nutritious food.
6. CDC recommends annual flu vaccine as the first defense against flu viruses.
People who have higher risk of complications due to flu include young children, pregnant women, people with certain chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease and people 65 years and older.
If you do catch the flu, antiviral drugs can be used to treat your illness if your doctor prescribes them. Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines and not available over-the-counter.
Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.
Natural Treatment of FLU:
You can also treat your Flu naturally. Here are all-natural fast cold or flu relief for your family, try these top research-proven home remedies for flu treatment:
1. Drink lots of water, juices or electrolyte beverages and avoid caffeinated drinks, because caffeine is a diuretic.
2. Oregano oil - oregano extract is a good remedy for respiratory illness like coughs, colds, flu, sore throats, and bronchitis. Look for "P73 oregano" supplements. Wild Oregano P73 stands for “polyphenol 73 percent” and is a specific blend of several high-grade medicinal wild oreganos.
3. Chicken soup - it relieves symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections like the flu.
4. NAC (N-acetyl L-cysteine) - it's a great flu treatment that's available at your local health food store.It is a powerful antioxidant that helps boosts immunity, reduces respiratory mucus and helps with breathing in various lung conditions.
3. Olive leaf extract - it boost immune system and a great flu treatment.
4. Ginger - it's great at reducing nausea and vomiting.
5. Nasal water sprays - rinsing your nose with salty water can thin mucus, ease postnasal drip, and moisten dry membranes. It also helps remove virus particles and bacteria from your nose. It's available at any drug or grocery store.
NAC (N-acetyl L-cysteine)
Olive leaf extract