While lifting a heavy object I just felt a pain in my right knee. I don't feel it when I'm seated or lying down but every time I walk I feel the pain, uggh. It's really inconvenient specially if your daily commute to work is by walking for a few blocks. Like most of ordinary people I don't have time to visit a doctor for such a minor inconvenience so I consult the web.
Knee pain is a general problem that can have a lot of causes such us acute injuries, medical conditions, body movements, and the common culprit is everyday wear and tear. Knee pains usually occurs while doing physical work, playing sports, lifting heavy stuffs, or other recreational activities.
The knee is the largest joint in the body, and the bones of the knee are separated by two menisci discs. The surface of the bones that are inside the knee joint is covered by articular cartilage. This cartilage absorbs shock and gives the moving joint a smooth surface.
The soft tissues around the front of the knee may become irritated that causes pain. Athletes frequently suffers with strain tendons that can cause knee pain. Other causes may include overuse, muscle imbalance and inadequate stretching.
Here is how you can Prevent Knee Pain:
- Stretch and do Warm-up before running or any other exercise. A 5-minute warm-up and a stretching exercise after is important. This will make joints flexible that can avoid being irritated.
- Always make sure that you have proper running form or lifting stance. Lean forward and keep your knees bent.
- Eat less and keep your weight in check. Having a heavy body can put a lot of stress on your knees.
- Rest and take a break from walking or any other strenuous exercise that can further exacerbate the pain. You can also place a small pillow under your knee.
- Place ice or cold packs immediately to the affected knee to prevent and minimize swelling.
- Avoid doing things that can cause swelling like alcoholic drinks and hot water.
- Wrap the affected area with an elastic bandage to lessen swelling.
- Keep the injured knee elevated above or within the level of your heart to help minimize swelling.
- Massage the affected knee to elieve pain and encourage blood flow. Stop massaging if you experience pain.